A Small Wholecloth Piece

One piece that didn’t make it into any previous post:

Nature Print
The first layer of this piece was done about a year ago. I did a shibori dye and I think I used Dye-Na-Flow. This time, I overprinted it using screen print ink with some nature printing, that is, I inked up the leaves and pressed them onto the fabric to make the impressions.

 

It seems a bit overdone right now, but it’s all part of the process.  Maybe I’ll go back in with some discharge dye on this one.  Then again, I don’t know if screen print ink will discharge!?

Dye-Na-Flow Day

These days are irresistible!  I had to go outdoors again.

The sun was shining.  The birds were chirping… and I was sunprinting again, only this time, with Jacquard’s Dye-Na-Flow.

 DyNaFlow webDyNaFlow 4 web  jpgWebSolar Fast web. 6.22

Here’s a link to a quick and easy tutorial for sunprinting with Dye-Na-Flow:

https://www.youtube.com/watchv=C8i5jYmTzvQ&feature=plcp&context=C36599b4UDOEgsToPDskLce4DNTugAglS2xKpAEcJ7

She used a stencil but I used real, freshly picked plants here.  Let me know if you have any questions about the process.

Sun Prints With Screen Print Ink

Warm and sunny again, although the sun kept ducking in and out later in the day just to make the timing a bit tricky.  In this batch I used screen print ink mixed with a little Golden GAC 900 as an extender and some water.

SPI 1.pleat.salt.web
I pleated this loosely and sprinkled some salt over it.
SPI2. pleat.salt.web
Pleated a little tighter but still no tying and salted.
SPI3 web
I used a real, dried piece of sea kelp of some sort for this one that laid flat in the middle but not so much on the outer edges.
SPI.4.
Starting out looslely painting screen print ink, I then placed a used, and therefore dark colored, transparent stencil over this piece.
Screen Print Ink 5 web
Over an already sunprinted piece that was pleated and used salt for texture, I “nature printed” over it using fabric paint.
SPI.6.web
First I applied screen print ink and scrunched it up for the sun print. Then I overprinted with screen print ink applied with a brush on the leaves and pressed into the fabric.

There have been some excellent posts on one of my favorite blogs on this subject you might want to check out if you haven’t already:

http://andthenwesetitonfire.blogspot.com/