I LOVE summertime! In the winter I’m such a wimp! But these days are mine – warm and sunny – YES! I even like summer in the rain. So, out I went with my Gelli plate, although I did make a new homemade job with glycerine that I have yet to break in. I’m not sure how it will hold up in the heat – let me know if you’ve done this. I don’t know why I can’t seem to do a decent job of gel printing on fabric! I made a muddy mess each time I tried, but I did have the forethought to bring out plenty of printing paper! Last year I did some odd shaped gel prints that I really liked a lot. I planned to develop the idea but never got any further than thinking about it. Here’s a couple:
Then, I just read Jane Davis’ recent blog post on Collage Journeys and was very inspired by her gorgeous prints. My desire to follow up on these was rekindled by her shapes and I’m pretty pleased with how my new ones came out. These are on paper but I used Jaquard fabric paint. I thought I’d share some with you:
I’m linking to Nina Marie’s Off The Wall Friday post.
SAQA is having their annual Benefit Auction. I’ve been enthralled with the pieces that seem particularly poignant to me and elicit an emotional response from the viewer (me).
Here’s my personally curated Dream Collection of donated art quilts that fits the theme of Poignant Pieces:
I’m not getting outdoors as much as I wish. I’m working on a series of art quilts using some of my sun prints and some of my photos, but I’ve managed to do a little more sun printing scrunched in with other tasks.
Above is a negative print from a digitally manipulated photo I took in Wakefield. It’s definitely an improvement over my first negative print. I’ll keep trying.
Originally, these types of prints were called cyanotypes or more commonly referred to as blueprints due to the color of the chemical mixture used to develop the negative. If you’re really interested in knowing more about cyanotypes you may want to check out Christopher James’ “The Cyanotype Process.”
Below perhaps you can see that I’m getting more detail, therefore more interest and texture to my Solar Fast prints! Yesterday I bought more Solar Fast since I’ve run out of some colors and I picked up a couple of new ones.
Behind the scenes I’m also experimenting some more with various uses and combinations of digital grounds on silk organza and cotton. And I’m spending some time playing with methods of doing gallery wraps of my art quilts.
If you want to see what some other artists are doing with fiber, I’m linking up with Nina Marie’s Off The Wall Friday post. Check it out.