January. One Four Challenge. Week 1

I started with this photo that I took at just about 4PM on a somewhat gloomy day at one of my favorite spots, Lake Quannapowett in Wakefield, MA.  Yet, still, I noticed that twilight was imbedded in the image before my eyes – something so classic about the late afternoon on a wintry day in New England that I pulled over as I was driving by to capture it.

Lake Q Twilight . Original Image

Lake Q Twilight . Original Image

First, I tweaked the exposure for a clearer image.

Then changed hue – more blue-green with a rusty gold highlight for a tad more drama.

Last I gave it a slight curves adjustment.

Lake Q. Week 1

Lake Q. Week 1

I’m reluctant to post a link right now to our gracious host’s blog about the One Four Challenge because I was attacked by  some malicious program that Norton caught before I did so.   I hope it gets sorted out soon.

1. Carrie says:

I really like the winter’s day coming to an end feel of this image, a few lights on in the distance a bit of moisture rolling off the water. It is really lovely. I also like the change to more golds in the foreground from the original. I can see why it is a favorite viewpoint.

Your editing really brought out the light and colours nicely. I am glad i didn’t visit the hacked site…and thanks for the warning!

3. Joanne says:

This is a very interesting image. I like the branch in front with just a few leaves, and the texture/colors of the grasses in front. Interested to see where you take this!

4. lensaddiction says:

The warmer tones definately work very well here 🙂

Like what you have done to bring out the warmer tones in the foreground. Good luck with sorting out your PC. Chris

6. Lynne Ayers says:

Very nice adjustments, just a gentle lift.

I left you a message – let me know if it doesn’t turn up 🙂

8. leecleland says:

Lovely image and like the slightly warmer tones. Hope the PC issues are all fixed, nasty that.

9. I love the muted colour of water and sky here!!!

I love your choice for this month and really like the change of hues, the crop and your subtle changes.
    Such a lovely image and looks like a beautiful place.
    Hope this one makes it 😉

11. debiriley says:

lovely, filled with serenity. great design lead ins with the branches directing the eye in; there is a sense of being right in the image the depth is great!