Finally, I have a section of my new workspace set up enough to do some work! The Project is ongoing but I pulled out some ecoprints that didn’t hold up on their own but made a great backdrop to do some ink painting on. I certainly need more practice at using the sumi-e ink on fabric. It’s a whole different ballgame than it is on paper.You can’t really call it sumi-e because it’s definitely not done with one brush stroke – it took more than that for the ink to penetrate the fabric. It could be that I hadn’t washed out the mordants so it may have been the culprit, but these will be good to do some thread painting on and see what happens. Just waiting on an order of Isacord thread before I can give it a go. I’d love to her from you if you have any experience with this process and if you have any tips for me.
Ink Painting 2
Ink Painting 2
My generous friend, Yvette, gifted me with tons of what she called fabric scraps but there were many bags of silk remnants, some quite large pieces left over from making her gorgeous silk scarves that you can see here. They’re all sorted and in plastic bins. I’ll start washing those out and give it a try on some of those.
I also began a sewing project using some of the wool I ecoprinted this year. I made a basic pattern shape for a short tunic but I’m adjusting as I go along. I have to steal the time for these efforts in between my endless cleaning. I’m not much of a seamstress, though, so I really have to focus on what I’m doing for this.
Any of you have a pattern like this? I’m not at all sure that what I’m doing will actually be wearable! Hopefully, I’ll soon find out.
Recent experiments in textured painting have led to what I’m calling “scratch paintings.” As I was painting the previous one I was listening to Jane Davies talk online about how she was scratching into her painting and I thought, “Yes, let me do that.” Not that I’ve never done this before but this time it was different. I really got into it. And so, I did a number of them that are in my last post. Then it began to evolve into something that I really like for me. What do you think?
But this next one came just before this and I though today was a good day to share it. It also has a painting technique that has been developing in my studio, which has taken on a life of it’s own. More about this in another post.
And now, before I leave you for today, I want to encourage you all to go vote for what I did with my first scratch painting on Spoonflower. It’s called The Green Way. A photo of it is in my last post. Unfortunately, it’s hard to find but if I find an easier way I’ll LYK on Facebook.
Sometimes I like to get outside myself and change things up just to get another perspective. Changing mediums does that most times. So I’ve been doing some painting on paper. I used acrylic paints mixed with various mediums, mostly with a transparent glazing medium, a holdover from my days as a furniture and wall painter. I learned to paint with layers upon layers on tables and such. And that’s still how I use paints on pretty much every surface.
Then, I made a digital collage using sections of these paintings.
Now, I’m struggling to climb over all the barriers that Spoonflower erects for its customers to upload and organize their info and art. It really irritates me that they want to sell you the directions to their website instead of providing a decent tutorial! OK, I’ll stop griping and move forward on a more positive note:
I just learned that I was accepted into the Melrose Arts Festival again this coming April!