On Tuesday night, I gave a presentation and talk at the Nimble Thimblers Quilt Guild and I think we all had a great time. These gals are a friendly bunch and were loaded up with great questions and lots of enthusiasm! I slept for a day and a half afterwards!
The following day, our SAQA MARI Regional group put up the travelling exhibit, Flight of Ideas, at the Melrose Public Library and will show through November 26th. Thanks to Sue Collozi for all her efforts putting this together and to Alanna Nelson for helping to hang it all!
I’m sure you remember that in December we sadly closed the doors of The Gallery in Malden but good news! We will open the doors of a more modest, new incarnation renamed to Gallery @ 57 in October! Stay tuned for an update as we get closer to the date. I’ll be spending the rest of the morning, probably into afternoon preparing my inventory list.
My days are still jammed with reorganizing my studios, collecting and picking leaves and flowers and setting them in flats between paper and cardboard to dry and await the day that I will return to ecoprinting. The compost that’s been in-the-making in my handmade composters is almost ready.
This season we have been sooooo enjoying an abundant harvest of tomatoes and peppers along with a lush bounty of basil, oregano, mints and sage!
So, that’s the September wrap up! Thanks for visiting ! Hope your autumn blows in all good things!
Recent work has included quite a bit of deconstructing and reconstructing, salvaging works in progress or finished works that I didn’t consider up to par. With Sky Leaves I’ve begun to upcycle the hefty pile of ecoprints that didn’t quite make it or were experiments gone awry and recycle them as canvases for fabric painting incorporating some of the leaf prints as painted appliques. These leaves are a fern, an apple leaf and some rosa rugosas, all from my back yard perimeter of woods.
Free motion quilting was done either before and/or
after the paint was applied in darker values to outline and define the leaves
and some veining. Overall, I prefer a loosely expressionist look, so the paint
style and composition reflects my most consistent voice along with a barely perceptible
addition of text in the form of asemic style writing, both printed and ink pen.
Since I also have a stash of commercial prints, I used
one small flower cut out from that as an applique from the same fabric for a
I used fabric paints to begin with but switched to
acrylic paints to create more depth and saturation, sometimes combined with
satin or matte mediums as well as some glazes.
I chose to bind the edges to contain the images as a
framed painting, using Sue Bliewies’s technique because it makes such a good,
flat binding and added a second layer to it to make a 12” square. The binding
is ecoprinted but not painted.
I’m pleased with the results of this “waste not, want not” mode. Comments here are encouraged! Although this is finished, critiques are welcome because there’s always something to learn to bring to the next one!