A Day of Sun Printing
What a glorious, sunny day it was yesterday! It took me at least a week to set up my outdoor dye/paint “room.” Well, that is the proverbial “we” that prepared the way for outdoor art activities. First, Bill brought out and set up my 10’ X 10’ gazebo and I vacuumed it out. We brought a glass topped table in and I started to haul all the accoutrements of this craft out there: boom box, jars, cans, dyes and their companion chemical products, tubs, paints, brushes, many odd and various tools, fabric, crock pot, hot plate and so on. Bill continued to work on putting a laminate top on a table I dug out of the cellar that’s a taller height than the picnic table. It’s almost done.
Given the warm sunny day, I couldn’t quite wait for it so I had a full day of play! I used a new product, Jacquard Solar Fast that I am very happy with. I left the unfinished table out in the sun and used it to place my fabric pieces on in the sun to develop.
The first piece I did used the Solar Fast film that I had run through my inkjet printer to produce a “negative” of a photo of mine. The sun print itself came out pretty good, but keep in mind it was the very first time I tried it. Next time I’ll choose a better photograph with more areas of separated darks and lights. Also, this was the least amount of time in the sun. I developed them each in slightly longer amounts of time to experiment.
After, walking around my yard, I gathered up leaves, small flowers and ferns to print with. The results of my first time using this product are in!